The Telegraph branch under the Posts and Telegraph Department was created in 1853 in the then British India and was regulated afterwards under the Telegraph Act-1885. The Telegraph branch was reconstructed in 1962 in the then East Pakistan as Pakistan Telegraph and Telephone Department. In 1971, after the independence of Bangladesh, Bangladesh Telegraph and Telephone Department was set up under the Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications. This was converted into a corporate body named 'Telegraph and Telephone Board' by promulgation of Telegraph and Telephone Board Ordinance, 1975. In pursuance of an ordinance of 1979, Telegraph and Telephone Board was converted into Bangladesh Telegraph and Telephone Board (BTTB), as a Government Board. From 1st July, 2008, as per the Telecommunication policy, 1998, BTTB was converted into a public limited company - Bangladesh Telecommunication Company Limited through another ordinance.